About Tamarillos - Spray free
Tamarillos are a red, egg-shaped tropical fruit - about the size of a plum - and sometimes called a tree tomato.
To eat, tamarillos are usually gently cooked because they can be quite tart when raw. If eating raw, sprinkling flesh with sugar makes it more palatable. Avoid eating the skin, which is bitter, but use the flesh in ice creams or sorbets and serve cooked tamarillo with poultry or fish. You can also use tamarillos in the same way as tomatoes to make sauces or chutney.
- Cut a raw tamarillo into slices, then serve the slices with sliced cheese or crackers or add the slices to a tossed salad.
- Make an easy salsa by chopping raw tamarillo and mixing it with avocado and a chopped chili pepper, or use chopped tamarillo with apple, onion, vinegar and spices for a flavourful chutney.
- Chop a peeled tamarillo and blend it in a fruit smoothie with yogurt, honey, milk, ice cream and a banana.
- Combine a chopped, peeled tamarillo with applesauce, then serve the mixture on ice cream.
- Add chopped, peeled tamarillos to bread or muffins or incorporate the peeled tamarillo in pork dishes.
- You can also use a chopped tamarillo to top a pizza.
How to peel
The best way to peel tamarillos without squishing the delicate flesh of the fruit is to blanch them in hot water.
Before you do that, cut a small X at the bottom of the tamarillo. Put them in a bowl and submerge it in boiling hot water. Give it about 3-4 minutes and no longer as you don’t want to cook the fruit.
Remove and run it under some cold water.
You’ll notice that the skin may have curled up a little or at least has separated itself slightly from the flesh. You can just use your fingers to peel the skin back or a paring knife for particularly stubborn ones.
Delivery or Collection
We can deliver for orders over $50, not just with our weekly fruit and veg box deliveries... $10 delivery fee applies to smaller orders under $100.
All orders over $100 can be delivered - FREE.
Or you can collect your order from us - FREE.
- Collect any orders FREE or visit us to shop. Add your collection point and day/time of pickup to notes at the checkout.
- Margaret River Cowaramup Store -7.30am to 6pm 7 Days a Week (8680 Bussell Hwy, Cowaramup)
- Canning Vale Farm Direct Warehouse - 8am to 2pm Fri and 10am to 2pmSunday(15/114 Bannister Rd, Canning Vale)
- Subi Farmers Markets - Saturday 8am to 12pm. 271 Bagot Rd, Subiaco
- Margaret River Farmers Market - Saturday 7.30am to 11.30am. Lot 272 Bussell Hwy, Margaret River
DELIVERY CUT OFF TIMES:
Perth North and South - Orders close midnight on Wednesday for Friday delivery.
South West Region 1: Yallingup, Quindalup, Dunsborough, Vasse, Bussellton, Dalyellup, Gelorup, Bunbury. Order by Wednesday Midnight for Thursday South West delivery
South West Region 2: Augusta, Karridale, Rosaglen, Witchcliffe, Margaret River, Gnarabup, Cowaramup. Order by Thursday midnight for delivery to above
Delivery will occur on the day noted above but we cannot confirm a time in advance.
If you cannot be at home to accept delivery, please leave clear instructions relating to where you'd like your delivery left.
On the day of delivery we recommend leaving us an easily accessible box, esky or cooler containing ice blocks or similar so we can ensure your fresh groceries are left in the best possible condition. We recommend a cool, shady area for us to be able to leave your goods.
If you have any further questions or feedback, please contact us here.