Royal Gala Apples
The Royal Gala apple was developed in New Zealand for its mild, sweet flavour, crisp flesh, and versatility. Produced from a cross between golden delicious apples and kidd’s orange red apples, Gala apples are so popular because they are delicious fresh, and cooked in a variety of ways.
How to choose
Select apples that are smooth-skinned, deeply coloured and glossy. When ripe, Galas will be golden yellow with slight pinkish orange stripes.
How to store
Royal Galas, like all other apples, should be stored as cold as possible. Keep them in the bottom drawer of your fridge in a perforated plastic bag. You need to allow some of the moisture to escape while keeping your apples crisp.
Royal Gala Apple Chips
There are two simple methods for making these delicious Apple Chips. One with sugar syrup and one without.
The simple syrup really makes a difference with these apple chips. It makes them shiny and more crispy. You can also reuse the syrup for making more batches of apple chips.
TIPS before you start
- Slice the apples 4mm thick using a mandoline on the thinnest setting.
- Slice from the bottom of the apple.
- Line two baking sheets with baking paper or a silicone mat and arrange the apple slices in a single layer on top. Place the apples close to each other as they shrink when being dehydrated.
- Sprinkle cinnamon evenly on both sides of the apple slice and bake for one hour before flipping while your slices are still warm. Continue to bake for another hour or until your slices are completely dry and crispy.
- The cinnamon or additional sugar is optional, but I recommend giving your apples a little cinnamon love for extra flavour even if you're not using the sugar syrup.
- Let the slices cool in the oven for 30 minutes to finish the dehydration process.
- Test the apple chips by letting them sit on the sheet pan for about 5 minutes. If they taste crispy enough, they are ready. If not, place them back in the oven for 15 more minutes.
[[ recipeID=recipe-9l1lb7t4t, title=Apple Chips with Royal Gala Apples ]]